Content - Inhalt

Delaware (9) Auslandsdeutsche (8) DHS (4) Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire (4) TSA (3) Visa Waiver Program (VWP) (3) Elektronischer Personalausweis (2) Eliminating the 'N' Word' (2) Jonathan McCoy (2) Library of Congress (2) MyTSA Mobile Application (2) USCIS (2) 111th Congress (1) AR-11 (1) Alt-Numpad-Eingabemethode (1) America The Story of Us (1) Anerkennung von Scheidungen im Ausland (1) Apologizing for the enslavement and racial segregation of African-Americans (1) April Fools' Day (1) Auslandsscheidungen (1) Ausweispflicht (1) Beibehaltungsgenehmigung (BBG) (1) Being Ready (1) Biometrics (1) Bundestagswahl 2009 (1) Bundeswehr (1) Change Your Address with USCIS (1) Credential Evaluation (1) DV-2011 Diversity Visa lottery (1) Delaware Figures (1) Delaware Geography (1) Delaware History (1) Delaware Miscellaneous (1) Delaware State(symbols) (1) Delaware legal holidays (1) Delaware official symbols (1) Deutsche Produkte in USA (1) Deutsche Umlaute (1) Deutsche im Ausland (1) Deutscher Pass (1) Deutscher Personalausweis (1) Doppelpass (1) EU-Staat (1) Einreise USA (1) Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA) (1) Eunice Kennedy Shriver (1) FDA Alert (1) FTC (1) Flickr (1) Franco Basaglia (1) Gesetz zum 11. September (1) Google Earth (1) Hauskauf in USA (1) Heparin (1) Israel (1) K-1 (1) Laura Bush (1) Margarete Meyer Schurz (1) Mercedes Sosa (1) Online-Newspapers (1) Pass (1) Permanent Resident Cards Without an Expiration Date (1) President Barack Obama (1) Quantum to Cosmos (1) REAL ID (1) Risk Reduction Education for Disasters (1) Robocalls (1) Secure Flight Program (1) Smyrna Community Hardware (1) Special Olympics (1) Ted Kennedy (1) Telemarketers (1) The Council on Women and Girls' website (1) U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) (1) U.S. currency (1) U.S. presidents (1) US‑VISIT (1) Visa (1) WWI-"blog" (1) Wahlrecht (1) Wehrpflicht (1) Wehrpflicht von Deutschen im Ausland (1) Widow(er)s of U.S. Citizens (1) You know you're from Delaware if (1) Zeugnis-Evaluierung (1) abgelaufener Personalausweis (1) alt-codes (1) blogger (1) disaster preparedness (1) drinking water (1) erster Kindergarten in USA (1) fiancé-visa (1) green card (1) groceries (1) hardware (1) hardware-store (1) integration (1) large print keyboard (1) naturalization applications (Form N-400) (1) new $5 bill (1) resolution (1) special signs (1) zweipaesse (1)

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Quantum to Cosmos

9 physicists discuss what lies ahead in physics, from the Quantum to the Cosmos. Drs. White and Zeilinger appear courtesy of Institute for Quantum Computing.

Thursday, October 1, 2009

FDA Alert: New USP Standards for Heparin Products

For Immediate Release: Oct. 1, 2009
Media Inquiries: Karen Riley, 301-796-4674,
Consumer Inquiries: 888-INFO-FDA

FDA Alert: New USP Standards for Heparin Products Will Result in Decreased Potency
Adjustments may be needed to achieve desired anticoagulant effect in some patients
New Heparin to Ship Starting October 8

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today alerted health care professionals to a change in heparin manufacturing that is expected to decrease the potency of the common anti-clotting drug.

To ensure the quality of heparin and to guard against potential contamination, the United States Pharmacopeia (USP), a nonprofit standards-setting organization, adopted new manufacturing controls for heparin. These changes include a modification of the reference standard for the drug’s unit dose.

Manufacturers in the United States label the amount of heparin included in their products based on USP standards. The changes adopted by the USP for the heparin unit dose match the World Health Organization’s International Standard (IS) unit dose definition that has been in use in Europe for many years. The revised USP reference standard and unit definition for heparin is about 10 percent less potent than the former USP unit.

A unit is the measure of a drug’s activity in the body. For heparin, a unit dose is the measure of the drug’s ability to block the blood’s natural clotting ability (anticoagulation). Heparin’s potency is determined by the dose of the drug required to produce a specific level of anticoagulation.
Manufacturers for the U.S. market have begun to make heparin using the new USP standard. While the USP manufacturing controls take effect Oct. 1 for production, the FDA has asked that they not ship this new product to customers until Oct. 8, 2009, or later. The delay will give health care providers and facilities time to learn about the changes and to make adjustments to their pharmacy procedures and dosing practices, according to John Jenkins, M.D. director of the Office of New Drugs in the FDA’s Center for Drug Evaluation and Research.

“Although the FDA-approved labeling for heparin has not changed, including the recommended doses, it is essential that health care professionals be aware of the potential difference in potency between the old and new vials of heparin when administering the drug,” said Jenkins.  
Four companies market heparin in the United States. APP, the largest manufacturer, markets heparin in vials; Hospira markets heparin in intravenous bags, vials, and syringes; Baxter markets heparin in intravenous bags, and B. Braun markets heparin in intravenous bags. The FDA has asked that all manufacturers identify their new products to help pharmacies and health care professionals differentiate it from the former product.

Prescription and over–the–counter medicines available in the United States must generally meet USP's public standards, when such standards exist. The revised standards for heparin are contained in a new USP monograph.

The monograph was revised, in part, in response to a 2007- 2008 incident of heparin contamination involving a manufacturing step in China. The contaminated heparin was associated with deaths and other adverse events in the United States. The monograph was changed to include a test for the contaminant.

For more information
FDA Alert to Health Care Professionals

USP Heparin Information

Information for Consumers: What You Should Know about Changes to Heparin

Nonimmigrant Visa for a Fiance(e) (K-1)

What Is a “Fiancé”?
How Does a Fiancé Visa Work?
Petition: Filing and Next Steps at NVC and the US Embassy
What Should I Know about International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA)?
Extending the Petition

A Fiancé Is Also an Immigrant
Applying for a Visa
Should K-1 fiancé(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?
Do the same income requirements apply to all immigrant visa applicants even if they use the I-134?
Fees - How Much Does It Cost?
Vaccination Requirements
What Must Happen After Getting the Fiancé(e) Visa?
Can a K-1 Visa Holder Leave the United States?
Can a K-1 Visa Holder Work in the United States?
Children Have Derivative Status
How Long Does It Take?
What If the Applicant Is Ineligible for a Visa?
How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card
How Do I Find the Regulations on the K-1 Visa?
General Questions

What Is a “Fiancé(e)”?
A fiancé(e) is a person who is engaged or contracted to be married. The marriage must be legally possible according to laws of the state in the United States where the marriage will take place.
In general, the two people must have met in person within the past two years. The Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) grants some exceptions to this requirement. For example, it may be contrary in some traditions for a man and woman to meet before marriage.
Sometimes the USCIS considers a person a "fiancé(e)" even though a marriage contract has been concluded. In such cases, the American citizen petitioner and his/her spouse have not met, and they have not consummated the marriage.
How Does a Fiancé(e) Visa Work?
If you are an American citizen and you want your foreign fiancé(e) to travel to the United States to marry you and live in the U.S., you must file Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) in the United States.
Petition: Filing and Next Steps at NVC and the US Embassy
You must file the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e),  Form I-129F, with the Department of Homeland Security's U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office that serves the area where you live. See the Department of Homeland Security's USCIS Field Offices for information on where you can file the petition. Note: You cannot file this petition at an embassy, consulate or U.S. immigration office abroad.
After the USCIS approves the petition, it sends the petition to National Visa Center for processing, prior to sending it to the embassy or consulate where your fiancé(e) will apply for a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for a fiancé(e).
What Should I Know about International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA)?
Detailed information about the International Marriage Broker Regulation Act (IMBRA) of 2005 petition requirements are shown in the new  Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) instructions.
Extending the Petition
The I-129F petition is valid for four months from the date of approval from USCIS. Consular officers can extend the validity of the petition (revalidate the petition) if it expires.
A Fiancé(e) Is Also an Immigrant
Because a fiancé(e) visa permits the holder to immigrate to the U.S. and marry an American citizen shortly after arrival in the United States, the fiancé(e) must meet some of the requirements of an immigrant visa.
Applying for a Visa
The consular section at the embassy or consulate where you, the fiancé(e) of an American citizen, will apply for a visa, will tell you about any additional specific requirements that you need to fulfill to complete your visa application, such as where you need to go for the required medical examination. During the interview process, an ink-free, digital fingerprint scan will be taken. Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer. The following is required:
·         A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States (unless country-specific agreements  provide exemptions).
·         Birth certificate
·         Divorce or death certificate of any previous spouse for both the applicant and the petitioner
·         Police certificate from all places lived since age 16
·         Medical examination (vaccinations are optional, see below)
·         Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support may be requested.)
·         Two Nonimmigrant Visa Applications, Form DS-156 (A Form DS-156, prepared in duplicate.)
·         One Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application, Form DS-156K
·         Two nonimmigrant visa photos (each two inches 50 X 50 mm square, showing full face, against a light background)
·         Evidence of a fiancé relationship
·         Payment of fees, as explained below.
The consular officer may ask for additional information according to the circumstances of the case. Documents in foreign languages should be translated.
Take clear, legible photocopies of civil documents, such as birth and marriage certificates, to the interview. Original documents can then be returned to you.
Should K-1 fiancé(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?
Since fiancé(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.
Do the same income requirements apply to all immigrant visa applicants even if they use the I-134?
No. The 125 percent minimum income requirement, the most recent year's tax return and other requirements only apply when an I-864 is needed. Applicants using the I-134 will need to show that their sponsor's income is 100 percent of federal poverty guidelines as required under Section 212(a)(4) of the INA.
Fees - How Much Does It Cost?
Fees are charged for the following services: 
·         Filing an Alien Fiancé(e) Petition, Form I-129F
·         Nonimmigrant visa application processing fee
·         Medical examination (costs vary from post to post)
·         Fingerprinting fees, if required
·         Other costs may include translation and photocopying charges, fees for getting the documents required for the visa application (such as passport, police certificates, birth certificates, etc.), and expenses for travel to the embassy or consulate for an interview. Costs vary from country to country and case to case.
·         Filing  Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status
For current fees for Department of State, government services select Fees.
Vaccination Requirements
United States immigration law requires immigrant visa applicants to obtain certain vaccinations prior to the issuance of an immigrant visa. Panel physicians who conduct medical examinations of immigrant visa applicants are required to verify that immigrant visa applicants have met the vaccination requirements. See IV Vaccination Requirements for the list of required vaccinations and additional information.
As a fiancé(e), you are not required to fulfill this requirement at the time of your medical examination for a fiancé(e) visa. However, you may want to do so. These vaccinations are required when you adjust status following your marriage.
What Must Happen After Getting the Fiancé(e) Visa?
After getting the fiancé(e) visa, your fiancé(e) enters the U.S. through a U.S immigration port-of-entry. The U.S. immigration official gives your fiancé(e) instructions on what to do when he/she enters the United States. You must get married within 90 days of your fiancé(e)’s entry into the United States.
After marriage, your spouse must file Form  I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live in the United States. You must fill out the Affidavit of Support,  Form I-864, with the USCIS for your spouse's application to become a lawful permanent resident (LPR). See Permanent Resident at the  Department of Homeland Security's, USCIS internet site.
Can a K-1 Visa Holder Leave the United States?
The K-1 visa allows a fiancé(e) to enter the United States one time only. If you leave the United States after entering on a K-1 visa, you may not re-enter on the same visa. If you want to leave and re-enter the United States, you should apply with  Form I-131 Application for Travel Document to the USCIS office that serves the area where you live for advance parole to return to the United States. See  Emergency Travel for information on how to get a travel document that allows you to return to the United States.
Can a K-1 Visa Holder Work in the United States?
As a K-1 visa holder you may file Form I-765 Application for Employment Authorization with the USCIS office that serves the area where you live for a work permit (employment authorization document). For more information see  How Do I Get a Work Permit (Employment Authorization Document)?
Children Have Derivative Status
The child of a fiancé(e) may receive a derivative K-2 visa from his/her parent’s fiancé(e) petition. You, the American citizen petitioner, must make sure that you name the child in the I-129F petition. After the marriage of the child’s parent and the American citizen, the child will need a separate form  I-485  Application to Register Permanent Residence or to Adjust Status. The child may travel with (accompany) the K-1 parent/fiancé(e) or travel later (follow-to-join) within one year from the date of issuance of the K-1 visa to his/her parent. A separate petition is not required if the children accompany or follow the alien fiancé(e) within one year from the date of issuance of the K-1 visa. If it is longer than one year from the date of visa issuance, a separate immigrant visa petition is required.
Remember that in immigration law a child must be unmarried. The stepparent/stepchild relationship must be created before the child reaches the age of 18.
How Long Does It Take?
The length of time varies from case to case according to its circumstances. The time it takes each USCIS office and each consular office to process the case varies. Some cases are delayed because the applicant does not follow instructions carefully or supplies incomplete information. (It is important to give correct addresses and telephone numbers.) Some visa applications require further administrative processing, which takes additional time after the visa applicant's interview by a Consular Officer.
What If the Applicant Is Ineligible for a Visa?
Certain conditions and activities may make an applicant ineligible for a visa. Examples of these ineligibilities are:
·         Trafficking in Drugs
·         Having HIV/AIDS
·         Overstaying a previous visa
·         Practicing polygamy
·         Advocating the overthrow of the government
·         Submitting fraudulent documents
The consular officer will tell you, the applicant, if you are ineligible for a visa, whether there is a waiver of the ineligibility and what the waiver procedure is. For a complete list of ineligibilities see Classes of Aliens Ineligible to Receive Visas.
How to Apply for a Social Security Number Card
After your fiancé(e) has been admitted into the United States, he/she can apply for a social security number card by visiting one of the Social Security offices in your local area. To learn about how-to-apply, visit the website for the  Social Security Administration.
How Do I Find the Regulations on the K-1 Visa?
For Department of State regulations on the K-1 visa view the visa section within the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) on the Department of State's website.
General Visa Questions 
·         Notice: Before making an inquiry, we request that you carefully review this web site. Very often you will find the information you need. Often, the answers to questions are easily found on the internet, and this impacts our ability to help other persons in need of assistance.
·         If your inquiry concerns a visa case in progress overseas, you should first contact the U.S Embassy or Consulate handling your case for status information. Select U.S. Embassy or Consulate, and you can choose the Embassy or Consulate internet site you need to contact.
If you find that you need to submit an inquiry, to serve you better, please indicate the subject of your inquiry on the subject line (e.g., student visa, visitor visa, worker visa, spouse visa, affidavit of support, etc.) General visa questions may be directed via e-mail to the State Department by clicking here.

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

2011 Diversity Visa Lottery Program Registration

September 29, 2009
The Department of State announces the opening of the registration period for the DV-2011 Diversity Visa lottery. Entries for the DV-2011 Diversity Visa lottery must be submitted electronically between noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), Friday, October 2, 2009, and noon, Eastern Standard Time (EST) (GMT-5), Monday, November 30, 2009. Applicants may access the electronic Diversity Visa entry form (E-DV) at during the registration period. Paper entries will not be accepted. Applicants are strongly encouraged not to wait until the last week of the registration period to enter. Heavy demand may result in website delays. No entries will be accepted after noon EST on November 30, 2009.
The congressionally mandated Diversity Immigrant Visa Program is administered on an annual basis by the Department of State and conducted under the terms of Section 203(c) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). Section 131 of the Immigration Act of 1990 (Pub. L. 101-649) amended INA 203 and provides for a class of immigrants known as “diversity immigrants.” Section 203(c) of the INA provides a maximum of 55,000 Diversity Visas (DVs) each fiscal year to be made available to persons from countries with low rates of immigration to the United States.
The annual DV program makes visas available to persons meeting simple, but strict, eligibility requirements. A computer-generated, random lottery drawing chooses selectees for DVs. The visas are distributed among six geographic regions, with a greater number of visas going to regions with lower rates of immigration, and with no visas going to nationals of countries sending more than 50,000 immigrants to the United States over the period of the past five years. Within each region, no single country may receive more than seven percent of the available DVs in any one year.
For DV-2011, natives of the following countries are not eligible to apply because the countries sent a total of more than 50,000 immigrants to the United States in the previous five years:
BRAZIL, CANADA, CHINA (mainland-born), COLOMBIA, DOMINICAN REPUBLIC, ECUADOR, EL SALVADOR, GUATEMALA, HAITI, INDIA, JAMAICA, MEXICO, PAKISTAN, PERU, PHILIPPINES, POLAND, SOUTH KOREA, UNITED KINGDOM (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, and VIETNAM. Persons born in Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and Taiwan are eligible.
No countries have been added or removed from the list of eligible countries. The list of eligible countries remains the same as for DV-2010.
The Department of State implemented the electronic registration system beginning with DV-2005 in order to make the DV process more efficient and secure. The Department utilizes special technology and other means to identify those who commit fraud for the purposes of illegal immigration or those who submit multiple entries.
For detailed information about entry requirements, along with frequently asked questions about the DV lottery, please see the instructions for the DV-2011 DV lottery available at

Diversity Visa (DV) Lottery Instructions

The online entry registration period for the DV-2011 Diversity Visa lottery is between noon, Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) (GMT-4), Friday, October 2, 2009, and noon, Eastern Standard Time (EST) (GMT-5), Monday, November 30, 2009. Entrants apply on Form DS-5501, Electronic  Diversity Visa Entry Form available only during the DV open registration period. Review the DV-2011 Instructions below for more information.
·         The English version of the DV-2011 Lottery Instructions is available in PDF format for your convenience.
·         Please review the Press Release for the DV-2011 Lottery Instructions.


Wednesday, September 9, 2009

deutsche und europaeische Lebensmittel und Delikatessen

Ich hab' hier ein paar "Ueberlebenslinks" gesammelt - halt was ich so am meisten vermisse. Wenn IHR noch gute Tips (Links) habt, dann macht Ihr bitte da wo's passt einen comment - danke :).

deutsche und europaeische Lebensmittel und Delikatessen online bestellen:
  • mit richtigem Geschaeft in Grand Rapids Michigan und US-weitem Versand: Erika's Delikatessen (zumeist viel guenstiger als die Konkurrenz) [zZ offline]
  • Europaeische Lebensmittel online bestellen aus Parma, Ohio:, wirklich tolle Auswahl an internationalen Delikatessen!
  • und hier gibt's von Haribo-Lakritzen bis zu Jacobs Kaffee wirklich fast alles
  • bei Stingelmeier's gibt's sogar die Weisswuerste samt suessem Senf!
  • ist ein in Carlstadt, NJ ansaessiges Handelshaus, das schon in 1919 von zwei Norwegischen Einwanderern gegruendet wurde und eine wirklich excellente Auswahl Europaeischer Lebensmittel, Kosmetika, Kochbuecher etc etc etc hat - Preise gibt's auf Anfrage

deutsche und europaeische Lebensmittel und Delikatessen in Laden kaufen:
  • auf 4 acres Lebensmittel aus aller Herren Laender - leider nur fuer Leute, die in der Tristate area IN-OH-KY leben: jeden Tag offen von 8:00am to 10:00pm // 5440 Dixie Highway // Fairfield, Ohio 45014 // (513) 674-6000
  • hausgemachte Wurst- und Fleischwaren - leider nur fuer Leute, die in CA leben: Mo-Sa von 8 am to 6 pm (5 p.m. Sa) // 400 San Antonio Road // Mountain View, CA
  • Aldi [Sued] gibt's auch in USA
  • internationale Lebensmittel zu Superpreisen, ob Ihr einen in der Naehe habt koennt Ihr hier rausfinden

deutsche Backwaren und europaeische Delikatessen online und im Laden:
  • deutscher Baecker in Helen, Georgia, der ganz tolles Brot hat
  • Katherine Rausch baeckt deutsches Brot in Spartanburg (SC), das sie US-weit verschickt. Sie baeckt taeglich, online Bestellungen werden Montags bearbeitet
  • Silke baeckt deutsches Brot in Woodlawn (TN), das sie US-weit verschickt
  • deutscher Baecker in Ann Harbor (MI), der auch viele Delikatessen anbietet
  • Silver Bell Baking Co. in Corona, New York, gibt's schon seit 1882!
  • deutscher Baecker in Toronto, Ontario Canada, der US-weit versendet

Thursday, August 27, 2009

New Rule Prohibiting Unwanted "Robocalls"
to Take Effect on September 1

For Release: 08/27/2009
Telemarketers Must Obtain Prior Written Approval from Consumers Who Want to Receive Such Calls
Beginning September 1, 2009, prerecorded commercial telemarketing calls to consumers – commonly known as robocalls – will be prohibited, unless the telemarketer has obtained permission in writing from consumers who want to receive such calls, the Federal Trade Commission announced today.
“American consumers have made it crystal clear that few things annoy them more than the billions of commercial telemarketing robocalls they receive every year,” said Jon Leibowitz, Chairman of the FTC. “Starting September 1, this bombardment of prerecorded pitches, senseless solicitations, and malicious marketing will be illegal. If consumers think they’re being harassed by robocallers, they need to let us know, and we will go after them.”
The new requirement is part of amendments to the agency’s Telemarketing Sales Rule (TSR) that were announced a year ago. After September 1, sellers and telemarketers who transmit prerecorded messages to consumers who have not agreed in writing to accept such messages will face penalties of up to $16,000 per call.
The rule amendments going into effect on September 1 do not prohibit calls that deliver purely “informational” recorded messages – those that notify recipients, for example, that their flight has been cancelled, an appliance they ordered will be delivered at a certain time, or that their child’s school opening is delayed. Such calls are not covered by the TSR, as long as they do not attempt to interest consumers in the sale of any goods or services. For the same reason, the rule amendments also do not apply to calls concerning collection of debts where the calls do not seek to promote the sale of any goods or services.
In addition, calls not covered by the TSR – including those from politicians, banks, telephone carriers, and most charitable organizations – are not covered by the new prohibition. The new prohibition on prerecorded messages does not apply to certain healthcare messages. The new rule prohibits telemarketing robocalls to consumers whether or not they previously have done business with the seller.
Under a previous rule that took effect on December 1, 2008, telemarketing robocall messages by businesses covered by the TSR must tell consumers how to opt-out of further calls at the start of the message, and provide an automated opt-out mechanism that is voice or keypress-activated. Prerecorded messages left on answering machines must also provide a toll-free number that connects to the automated opt-out mechanism.
After September 1, consumers who receive prerecorded telemarketing calls but have not agreed to get them should file a complaint with the Commission, either on the Web site or by calling 1-888-382-1222.
The Commission’s 2008 press release announcing the changes to the TSR’s prerecorded telemarketing provisions and a link to the related Federal Register notice can be found on the FTC’s Web site at:
The Federal Trade Commission works for consumers to prevent fraudulent, deceptive, and unfair business practices and to provide information to help spot, stop, and avoid them. To file a complaint in English or Spanish, visit the FTC’s online Complaint Assistant or call 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357). The FTC enters complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to more than 1,500 civil and criminal law enforcement agencies in the U.S. and abroad. The FTC’s Web site provides free information on a variety of consumer topics.
Mitchell J. Katz Office of Public Affairs 202-326-2161
(FTC File No. R411001)

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Council on Women and Girls' new site

Posted by Christina M. Tchen
Welcome to our new website! As the Executive Director of the Council, I’m very excited to launch this site as we commemorate Women’s Equality Day on August 26. On this day when we remember the bravery and struggles that won women the right to vote, we are very pleased to add this website to share with everyone the work of this Administration to address the issues of concern to women and girls. The mission of the White House Council on Women and Girls is to ensure that every part of the federal government takes into account the needs of women and girls in the policies we draft, the programs we create, the legislation we support. Through this site you will be able to meet the member of the Council and the key staff in each agency who are charged with meeting this charge from the President.

This site also gives you information on the work we have been doing through the Council highlighting the Anniversary of Title IX, working on health reform, and joining the Vice President in the appointment of a White House Advisor to the President on Violence Against Women. We hope that you will come back often for updates as we and each of the members of the Council moves forward with our work. One of our first steps has been for each agency to assess their current resources addressing women and girls, and to begin planning for the future. Those reports have all been submitted to us, we are reviewing them, and we thank everyone in the agencies who worked on them. We will be posting the reports on line in the near future.

I hope that you will use this site and share it with others. We want you to come back and visit us often to learn what is happening throughout the Administration on issues concerning women and girls.

Thank you for your support.

Christina M. Tchen is Executive Director of the Council on Women and Girls and the Director of the White House Office of Public Engagement

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

In Memory of Eunice Kennedy Shriver

The world has lost a great leader in the struggle to improve and enhance the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities

I was deeply saddened to hear that Eunice Kennedy Shriver, executive vice president of the Joseph P. Kennedy, Jr. Foundation, founder and honorary chairperson of Special Olympics, sister of President John F. Kennedy and Senator Edward Kennedy, and the driving force behind the establishment of the NICHD, died this morning, August 11, 2009, after suffering a series of strokes.

Mrs. Shriver has long been a champion for and friend of the NICHD. Together with Dr. Robert E. Cooke, her friend and a scientific advisor to President John F. Kennedy, Mrs. Shriver paved the way for the establishment of the NICHD in 1962 to “encourage imaginative research into the complex processes of human development, from conception to old age.” In recognition of her vision and dedication, Congress passed Public Law 110-154 on December 21, 2007, renaming the Institute as the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development.

On March 3, 2008, I had the pleasure of welcoming Mrs. Shriver, her family, friends, and other special guests to the NIH campus to recognize the Institute’s renaming. During this special event, we also renamed the Institute’s flagship research centers program in Mrs. Shriver’s honor and inducted her into the NICHD Hall of Honor. Throughout the event, it was clear that Mrs. Shriver was truly appreciative for all the efforts of NIH and NICHD staff in trying to improve the lives of others, especially those who need our help the most. She took the time to shake hands with every person in attendance and thanked them for their work.

Even though the day’s events were to honor her accomplishments and vision, Mrs. Shriver never moved her focus away from those she called her “special friends.”

“I want to ask all of you to believe in the value of every person with an intellectual disability,” Mrs. Shriver said in her remarks on March 3, 2008. “I want to ask the scientists here to work to improve their quality of life. I want to ask the political leaders here to finally give them their due as citizens of this great country.”

Mrs. Shriver went on to talk about her belief in possibility, not just for herself and her family, but for all people, of all levels of ability, throughout the world. She championed for it, working so that all people could strive to achieve their own possibilities, to share their own special gifts and talents, and to be valued as an important part of our world.

Mrs. Shriver leaves many legacies—the NICHD, the Special Olympics, the Eunice Kennedy Shriver Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities Research Centers, her children and grandchildren, her family, her friends. But maybe her most important legacy is how she treated others, which she explained:

“There is no joy like the joy of unleashing the human spirit. There is no laughter like the laughter of those who are happy with others. There is no purpose more noble than to build communities of acceptance for all. This is our glory.”

The world has lost a great leader in the struggle to improve and enhance the lives of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Mrs. Shriver will be deeply missed.

Sincerely yours,

Duane Alexander, M.D.
NICHD Director

The following links provide more information:
Special Olympics Mourns the Loss of Eunice Kennedy Shriver (From the Special Olympics Web site)

In Honor of Eunice Kennedy Shriver

Statement from the Shriver Family

Eunice Kennedy Shriver, Founder of Special Olympics, Dies (New York Times)

in German:
Eunice Kennedy Shriver – ein Leben für Amerika